Check Disk problem

Mike 10:04 10 Apr 05

I run windows XP Home. When I turn on the computer the check disk programme runs every time prior to the sign on screen. Is this normal? I close the computer down correctly by going to Start / Turn Off Computer etc but I still have the problem
Thanks
Mike

alan227 10:59 10 Apr 05

Taken off another forum, credit to Random Box.

Nov 11 2003, 01:20 AM
Disable Automatic Launch of CHKDSK during Boot
Chkdsk runs every time my PC restarts >> Solutions:
1. Go to click here >> enter "re: +chkdsk+restart+problems" (sans quotes)
2. You can use the chkntfs command to exclude volumes from autochk, which is the version of chkdsk that runs before Windows starts. You can find more information about this command in Help. For more detailed information on chkdsk and autochk, you can read about them in XP Resource Kit ( click here )
3. Chkdsk is covered in the "Troubleshooting Disks and File Systems" chapter. The exact topic name is "Using Chkntfs to Prevent Autochk from Running."
* Using the RecoveryConsole, Rename c:\windows\system32\autochk.exe to autochk.old.
* Restart your machine.
* If you are handy with the registry, >>Start>>Run>>Type "regedit">>Enter
* Back up registry first.
* Then search for "autochk" in the registry and find where it autoloads.
* Remove it from this registry key and all others that may reference it.
* Reboot and see if this has gotten rid of your problem!
4. You maybe able to download StartUpControlPanel and see if you can disable it from there (RunOnce)!
5. Try booting your computer in SafeMode, and have the system run chkdsk in safe mode!
6. Here is another alternative:
* >>AdministrativeTools>>ComputerManagement>>DiskDefragmenter.
* Run the Defrag (with all other applications closed) to make sure that your HardDisk is ship-shape, first!
7. Here is yet another WinXP built-in utility that may help you to disable it from running:
* >>Start>>Run>>Type "msconfig">>Enter.
* Browse the Services that are shown that startup during Boot and see if you can disable it here!
8. Or try this old trick >> chkntfs /x will stop the chkdsk from automatically running.

lotvic 21:57 10 Apr 05

Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer microsoft knowledge base 316506

click here

might be of help

Maturin 17:49 01 Feb 06

This is going to help me, I think so...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…