Check disk problem

Andsome 07:57 05 Apr 04

My computer runs XP Home NFTS. It has suddenly started to want to run Check disk in an endless cycle on start up. When I start up if I allow check disk to run it does so and then starts again. If I stop it running the computer starts up OK and apparently runs perfectly normally. No system restore points work. If I try to defrag whether using Windows defrag or Diskeeper 7, I get a message to the effect that check disk has been set and defragging cannot take place until check disk has been run.

Gongoozler 09:50 05 Apr 04

I think a continual checkdisk cycle means that something is causing bad shutdowns. Have you recently installed any hardware, software or new drivers? Have you recently run a full virus scan?

Andsome 10:21 05 Apr 04

I had to reinstall Nero, and have installed Route Finder. No new drivers

spikeychris 10:52 05 Apr 04
  Andsome 11:13 05 Apr 04

I'll look at these later when I get back in. Thanks

spikeychris 11:29 05 Apr 04

Any probs with them post back, the links are harder to read then they are to perform :o)

Andsome 17:09 05 Apr 04

The first click here didn't do anything, nothing appeared to happen after I typed as suggested and pressed enter. Regarding the second click here, it appears to apply to Windows 2000. I have in the past, when using windows 98SE, run the system disc and told it to INSTALL, this has solved several problems. Is it possible that this may correct the problem in XP Home?

Andsome 17:26 05 Apr 04

Anyone who gets the same problem visit this link and see the solution suggested by bvw.

click here

spikeychris 19:56 05 Apr 04

The 2K issue is the exact same as XP and what did you type? "chkntfs /x e:" only applies if the scan is occurring on drive "E" the link supplied by Bryan does the exact same....it just does it for you....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…