//some 3rd party need geo

Check-~1.GIF removal

nigethecat 08:26 27 Oct 03

Does anyone know how to delete files that come up with the following error message

"cannot delete CHECK-~1.GIF: cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name."

I'm trying to clear out my old documents before sending my laptop away for repair, but can't get rid of this one file, the document is an article from the internet by Michael Moore about the US Goverment.. call me paranoid but is this some type of spyware ?

DieSse 09:29 27 Oct 03

It's not an article - it's a picture!

Go into DOS and change directory to where the file is stored.

Then type

del check???.gi*

Then it might go.

nigethecat 09:58 27 Oct 03

DieSse,

Thanks for your response, sorry but I've never really used DOS to any extent before, I've tried to open the folder using "run, cmd, and then C:\Documents and Settings\Marg.Computername\My Documents\Personal but I get an error message saying that "My" is not a valid command ?

Any thoughts

Cheers

MAJ 12:48 27 Oct 03

1. Open the folder with the offending file you want to delete.

2. Go to Start > Run, type in "cmd" (without the quote marks)., Click OK.

3.A blank window will appear, showing C:\Documents and Settings\Marg.Computername>

4. Type "del" (without the quote marks) followed by a space.

5. From the original folder, containing the offending file, drag the file to the black CMD window. The path to the offending file will appear after the typed "del ".

6. Press the Return key to delete the offending file.

MAJ 12:51 27 Oct 03

Point 3 should read:

3.A black window..........etc.

nigethecat 13:46 27 Oct 03

MAJ

Many thanks, file has now been consigned to cyberspace

Cheers

MAJ 13:48 27 Oct 03

Happy to help, nigethecat. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…