Cheapest way of getting mobile internet access

rickus 14:12 07 Jan 07

I will be travelling a bit and staying at places with free wi-fi.

What is the cheapest device I could get to effectively do some internet browsing?

Have thought about a PSP which you can buy new for c£140 but the 'keyboard' seems to be rather cumbersome.

STREETWORK 14:56 07 Jan 07

Belkin Adapter (approx £20)

rickus 15:03 07 Jan 07

Thanks Streetwork. Don't think I was specific enough:

I only have a desktop PC so I am looking for a separate device that will all of the job. A PSP would but seems to be cumbersome for internet access. Laptops are probably too pricey, for a blackberry I believe you need a phone contract. What else is there that does the job and is cheap?

rickus 20:35 07 Jan 07

bump

woodchip 20:39 07 Jan 07

A cheap Laptop

Technotiger 20:47 07 Jan 07

As per woodchip ... a cheap lappie is about the only thing that will do all you want. Or Internet Cafe!

rickus 20:49 07 Jan 07

Thanks - what about a PDA? - or does the usability/price side not stack up against a laptop?

woodchip 20:53 07 Jan 07

How you going to see a Web page on a PDA as it should be? I have a Acer PDA and can connect to IE by computer but it's not at all good. How can you see a full screen

rickus 21:00 07 Jan 07

As you can probably tell I know very little about these devices.

I saw a PSP for the first time yesterday and I think the type of display it gives would be adequate for my quite limited needs - i.e. mainly to be able to read text . However, the lack of a decent keyboard facility could make it very difficult to use. Do all PDAs only give you a part page view?

Woolwell 21:16 07 Jan 07

I've got a PDA and mobile phone with WAP. Ok for e-mail but if you want internet browsing then go for a cheap lappie or internet cafe as already stated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now