cheap reliable hard drive

edenworkshops 17:25 23 Feb 12

Hello

My external hard drive has just died, at least I think it has, I dropped it onto a carpet, about two weeks ago, then suddenly it stopped working and I kept getting an I/P device error.

I have checked and double checked the connections, changed usb sockets, changed the usb cable, and still get the error message.

My question was, can anyone recommend a cheap, reliable 40gb hard drive, its ages since I bought one.

I realise, cheap and reliable may not go hand in hand, but I guess above all I need reliability and long life...as long as I don't drop it.

Thank you

Richard

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:53 23 Feb 12

cheap, reliable 40gb hard drive

A 40g HDD will not be cheap - it will be cheaper to buy a larger one

Do you want a 2.5 inch drive powered by USB only or 3.5 inch drive that will required a separate power supply?

Just bought a 3.5 Verbatim 1G for £64 from a Computer fair.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:54 23 Feb 12

Try taking the drive out of the case and connect direct to the PC motherboard.

spuds 18:16 23 Feb 12

If you are seeking to purchase, then have a look at the major component retailer's like Ebuyer, Novatech and perhaps Amazon, because the prices are fluctuating nearly daily/weekly at present. Similar to memory chips a few years ago.

Last October, I bought an external Western Digital 500GB from Argos for £49.99.

edenworkshops 19:06 23 Feb 12

What is the difference between a 2.5 inch and 3.5 inch hard drive, apart from the phusical size? I am seeing some cheap...£25.00...2.5 inch external hard drives, do they have a reputation for reliability, I see they are usb2.

Could I use one in leui of a 3.5 inch hard drive and hard drive case?

Thank you

Richard

P.S. I tried plugging the hard drive into the mother board but still no joy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…