cheap decent game playing pc.

rippanation 09:35 17 Nov 05

can anyone suggest a decent cheap pc from pc world that will play most modern games? my pc wont handle it and my kids want something they can go online with and play some of the latest online shooters?

comanche11 09:45 17 Nov 05

Why P C World.

You have access to the net try that it will be cheaper too

PaulB2005 09:49 17 Nov 05

"Cheap PC", "most modern games" and "online shooters" don't necessarily go together.

First, what's you budget?

Secondly, what games are we talking about?

Diodorus Siculus 09:54 17 Nov 05

Further to PaulB2005's queries, what is the specification of your machine at the moment?

What graphics card is in it at the moment? Are you sure it will take a newer one?

keewaa 10:35 17 Nov 05

Ditto .. if you can spec what games need to be played then its easier ... you can buy a new Dell 1100 box for £170 atm.

That's cheap, it'll play some online games and CD games but will not handle action games ... that's an example of cheap !

On the other hand the Dell XPS games orientated machines start at £1000.

ACOLYTE 10:42 17 Nov 05

Most online games rely on your net conn to work best,if the pc runs them at minimum specs and you have a good conn then you should be ok.

citadel 20:00 17 Nov 05

If you just want games the new xbox 360 will be better as a cheap pc will struggle with games.

Jaro 23:23 17 Nov 05

maybe you should stay here when you ask for help people are trying to help you and you are gone. noty

rippanation 11:26 18 Nov 05

well my budget is about £450 and the reason pc world is my best option is because i have an account with them already, also i dont know anyone who can build machines and sorry jaro for not hanging around i work over 15 hrs a day and i am backwards and forwards and bringing 3 kids up lol its chaos lol.

gudgulf 11:39 18 Nov 05

You are going to really struggle to get what the kids would want with that budget.

Why not tell us what you already have....it might be possible to upgrade that for a lot less than your budget.

gudgulf 12:06 18 Nov 05

There is this click here but the onboard graphics is woefully inadequate for modern games.

You would need to check with PC World to make sure but according to the Packard Bell website the motherboard used has an AGP slot so you could ask for an AGP graphics card to be fitted.

From PC World something like this click here is the most suitable card.

Bear in mind that PCW's prices on graphics cards tend to be very much on the high side so that would push you well over budget.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant