Cheap Cordless Keyboard & Mouse?

Gaz W 03:15 16 Jul 03

I'm after a cheap cordless keyboard and mouse for my new PC. Preferably they will need to be black or beige/white with black on them (e.g. black wrist rest on keyboard), although beggars can't be choosers!

They will need a good range - some I have seen only work within 2 metres of the receiver and this would be no good. I want to be able to control PowerDVD using the keyboard. Some Logitech cordless keyboards I have seen have at the top have Play/Stop buttons etc, which I assume are to control audio CDs, but might be programmable(?). However, the Logitech keyboards in question are out of my budget. I am looking to spend the ridiculously small amount of £35 ish. I don't really care if it's branded or not, and in fact an unbranded set would even be preferable and probably cheaper, but I am not ruling out branded ones at all. PS/2 is preferable to USB, although I'm not short of them with 8 in total so I don't really mind.

I know that this is probably asking the impossible, but if anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful.

capslock 05:04 16 Jul 03

Got this one.

A cracking buy!

click here

Gaz W 10:54 16 Jul 03

That looks like a really good bargain, but I don't think the range (1.5m) is going to be enough for the room it's going in. The PC is in one corner and I need to be able to control the DVD on the TV at the other side. However, I was wondering if you could tell me if yours works any further than 1.5m?

Bodi 12:56 16 Jul 03

System Components - Input Devices - Keyboard & Mouse Bundles.

click here

You may find what you want.

Bodi

Gaz W 14:45 16 Jul 03

I've seen a few by Genius, but I don't know whether they have the extra buttons I want (Play, etc) to control DVD playback. Also, I have been unable to find information on the range/distance these keyboards/mice work at. It needs to be at least 5 metres to be on the safe side, although 10 or much further would be preferable.

SEASHANTY 16:23 16 Jul 03

Staples were selling the "Trust" cordless k/b and mouse sets last year at about £40 (inc. vat). Dunno about the range, sorry.

capslock 19:21 16 Jul 03

GazW:

Sorry but I don't need it to work much over a metre or so.Computer is in the study at a desk.

However - I'm typing this out in the hall at a distance of 4 metres , albeit with an uninterrupted view of the receiver.

Hope this helps.

Gaz W 19:52 16 Jul 03

I suppose there's nothing to stop me trying it. Is there a receiver unit that plugs into the PS/2 ports of the PC? If so, how long are the PS/2 cables that go from the PS/2 ports to the receiver? Only I could put it in a place that would mean it would be 4m away and uninterrupted.

One more question about it - what is the battery life like? I will probably end up using this keyboard & mouse quite a lot, so the batteries would need to last a while.

Stuartli 20:08 16 Jul 03

I got the same keyboard and mouse mentioned by Seashanty at £40 for £19.99 at Lidl last year under the Typhoon brand name.

Aldi have been advertising a multi hotkey Medion equivalent for £19.99 in the last week whilst Scan of Bolton (click here) often features top brand name wireless mouse and keyboards for this price or less on its TodayOnly page.

Stuartli 20:09 16 Jul 03

Most products of this type are rebranded - it's not economic for most big companies to produce their own or to try and manufacture everything they sell.

Bodi 20:57 16 Jul 03

click here

I have a Trust cordless optical mouse and it uses rechargable batteries. It has its own recharger which also acts as a mouse holder - I think it's pretty good.

Bodi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced