Cheap broadband sharing - XP PC & Vista Laptop

GaT7 19:50 24 Jun 07

Hi,

I have a XP Pro desktop, which is connected to 2Mb Virgin Media broadband (cable modem connected via the only available network port).

My neighbour recently acquired a Vista Home Premium laptop, which I'd like to be able to connect to the Internet to update OS, register software, etc from time to time.

What's the CHEAPEST way I can do this please? It doesn't have to be wireless or anything fancy. But if wireless is the ONLY way I'd like to know too. Ta, G

postie24 20:24 24 Jun 07

Use your broadband set up cd on his laptop,then when you want to update,just plug in the ethernet cable into his laptop.

GaT7 20:51 24 Jun 07

OK thanks postie24, I'll give it a try.

The only thing is that the last time I tried to setup another desktop in this way (my old Win98se PC a year ago) it refused to connect. It's as though ntl (at the time) was only allowing me to connect to ONE computer - the unique one it was originally setup with. G

mgmcc 20:59 24 Jun 07

If you only need to connect one computer to the internet at a time, then power everything off including the Cable Modem which should be left without power for two or three minutes (this is IMPORTANT!). Plug an ethernet cable between the Cable Modem and neighbour's laptop, power on the modem and, when fully booted with correct lights displayed, boot the laptop. You should then have internet access.

To swap the connection back, repeat the procedure, including leaving the Cable Modem without power for two or three minutes. This is necessary so that it releases the association between the existing connection (recognised by its MAC address) and the IP address it has allocated to it. A new connection is then recognised and a different IP address allocated.

GaT7 21:32 24 Jun 07

mgmcc, I think you're right about the modem powering off, MAC/IP address, etc - you've explained it very well. Thanks, I will definitely try it.

However, I don't think it's as simple as plugging in my neighbour's laptop & away you go. The whole setup appears heavily reliant on loading/setting things up with the help of the CD they supply, which I now realise is not Vista-compatible. Anyway, we'll see how things go.

Connecting one computer at the time suits me as I won't be doing it too often (he may get an Internet connection at some point anyway). It would be nice not to have to go through your rigmarole each time but you can't beat FREE! Thanks again, G

mgmcc 09:02 25 Jun 07

I have the "Telewest" Virgin Media service, have always connected by ethernet and have *never* run a CD or installed any ISP software in any computer to use their service.

I actually use a router, but can swap routers in exactly the same way that I've suggested above for swapping the connection between PCs. In any case, it isn't possible to install ISP software in a router so it cannot be a requirement.

<<<It would be nice not to have to go through your rigmarole each time but you can't beat FREE!>>>

There is an alternative - network the two computers and enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on your connection to the modem. However to do this you would need to have a free network adapter ("wired" or "wireless") with which to connect to the other computer. If using the existing "Local Area Connection" to connect to the modem, you would have to install a second network adapter or a wireless network adapter in your PC.

GaT7 17:09 25 Jun 07

Ah, the alternative you suggest is exactly what I was looking for when I started this thread.

So, one of these PCI/USB wireless network adaptors will do click here? I could get a 'wired' one but I may go for wireless - I didn't think they'd be so cheap. The laptop's got wireless built-in. I'll be back if I need help in setting it all up. This may be some time before I get back though as he's 80-85 & not in a great hurry to get this done.

Thanks mgmcc, you've been a great help. G

mgmcc 09:02 27 Jun 07

Get one of the USB 802.11g Wireless Network Adapters and that should be fine.

*DON'T* get a Bluetooth adapter as they are also listed on that eBay page!

Strawballs 22:32 27 Jun 07
  GaT7 22:40 27 Jun 07

Thanks mgmcc & Strawballs - that's very helpful. I'll give that tutorial a go when I get the wireless card/adaptor. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…