Cheap basic system

JoE. 18:34 16 Mar 08

Right, our family's computer's gone up the spout, burning was smelt earlier and it hasn't worked since. Anyway, my mum's decided she wants a new computer rather than try and fix what's wrong with it, and is leaving it to me. Budget is around £200, and we've already got a DVD-RW and HDD, but she wants more hard drive, and also as much RAM within budget. I've found this barebones system click here and this seems to be a fair hard drive click here although I'm unsure of its compatability with said system, also this extra memory click here

Anything else I'd need?

MAJ 18:44 16 Mar 08

You might have problems with the hard drive as it's a SATA drive, you'll need a floppy drive to install the drivers for the SATA controller.

Have you checked your hosehold insurance, depending on what it includes, you might be able to claim on the insurance for a new PC?

MAJ 18:45 16 Mar 08

Oh, and you'll need an Operating system.

JoE. 18:48 16 Mar 08

No household insurance, and won't the OS on the old hard drive be useable? Or am I assuming something stupid..

Would the drivers come on floppys with the drive or would they be available online as well?

JoE. 19:58 16 Mar 08

Anyone?

MAJ 20:04 16 Mar 08

It depends on what OS you have on the old drive and how it was installed, JoE. Do you have a Windows OS disk? If so what OS is it and is it an OEM, upgrade or full retail version?

The drivers will be available online, again depending on the operating system.

JoE. 20:06 16 Mar 08

XP Home, was on it when we got the computer, don't think we have the disk.

Any idea about the RAM/Drive compatability?

MAJ 20:50 16 Mar 08

Chances are that the OS is OEM, JoE. which means that it can't be used on the new PC.

The RAM and the DVD drive should be okay.

MAJ 20:52 16 Mar 08

When you buy the memory from Novatech, you could also buy an OEM version of XP Home. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac