cheap and basic.............

JOHN232 11:24 14 Oct 05

I'm looking for a cheap and basic desktop system for my daughter. She'll only be using it for her college work, playing music and viewing the internet.
Previous advice on here led me to 'Aries' computers and they do seem very reasonable. Has anybody out there any experience of this company - or can someone point me in another direction.
I don't really want to spend more than £400, and for that money I need the monitor and printer included.

Hamish 11:32 14 Oct 05

Try Ebay

De Marcus™ 11:33 14 Oct 05

click here leaves you £59 to buy a printer

De Marcus™ 11:43 14 Oct 05

Sorry that dell machine price doesn't include vat. This one does although you will have to save for a printer click here

PC Bilbo 11:47 14 Oct 05

There are plenty of small local shops which can give value using lower cost AMD Processors but make sure you get at least a 754 skt board as production of Skt A has now been dropped by AMD.Also some cheap offers do not include an operating system or modem card (if your daughter is going to be using dial-up internet access (PCI modem card around £10)

The below link to a co. advertising in PCA should give you some ideas on what current prices are out there.

You should get a CRT monitor and entry level printer for around £115 combined if you shop around or consider a second user SVGA for around £25 ( they tend to be very reliable these days + £45 for basic printer)

PC Bilbo 11:48 14 Oct 05

Sorry forgot the link!

click here

Wak 11:50 14 Oct 05

Victor Complete System with Win XP Home, Celeron 2.8GHZ, 256MB Ram, DVD-RW, 80 GB H/D, 17" CRT Monitor, etc. £352.44 from click here

spuds 12:18 14 Oct 05

Check Dell special offer prices via weekly media releases. Free delivery, free extra ram, free printer seems to be the normal way of Dell marketing, but check the offer code, as the same computer may have three or four different prices depending on the advertisement. I recently purchased a fairly good computer base unit via eBay for approximately £160. This was from a trade supplier clearing out a large volume of surplus stock. All were sold with a three year warranty and additional extras [at cost] if required. Buying from eBay without a warranty and company back-up can be a not so wise move.

A visit to PCW, Staples or you local reputable [been around for some time] local outlet could solve the problem, especially as the pre Christmas sales are not to far away.One company that have some very good package offers [quote Leicester Mercury advert], all with good warranty back-up click here Operating software is about £60 extra for XP Home and installed on a then ready to use, straight out of the box machine.

spuds 12:33 14 Oct 05

Reference to my previous post,DA Computers website is not the best advertisement. A typical [Leicester Mercury] quote: AMD XP 3000+ 512Mb 120Gb HD cd rw 17" fst £366.00 inc of vat plus 5 year warranty. They have been around for 24 years, so they must be doing something right. I would add that I have no connection to the company, other that that I know of a few people who have purchased and still using DA Computers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…