CHDSK

bpzoom 10:44 17 Jan 11

I hope this has not appeared twice,the first attempt has disappeared. Windows XP Home Service pack 3. Where can I find CHDSK and how do I run it please? I want to use it with the /F parameter to find and fix disk faults if any.

Poitier 10:55 17 Jan 11

Double click My Computer/Right click C drive/click properties/tools/CHDSK

robin_x 10:57 17 Jan 11

Nice little tutorial here

click here

bpzoom 14:33 17 Jan 11

Many thanks. I have run both phases of CHDSK as well as system file check SFC /scannow, and am waiting to see if there is any difference to the system performance. I might not have to wipe the C drive and reload Windows if all goes well. The only comment seen throughout the exercise was when CHDSK announced it was finding a home for some orphan files. Otherwise the checks went through without any results being announced. That nice little tutorial is excellent, thank you.

robin_x 15:11 17 Jan 11

Your welcome. Speeding up your system is another ball game.

Check msconfig.exe or use WinPatrol click here;1

to check for unwanted start up programs.
Any you disable can easily be re-instated if necessary. Disable does not delete unless you insist.

Check your anti-virus is not configured to scan on start up

Run Malwarebytes and do a full scan.
click here;1

Run Ccleaner
click here;1

A recent post on another forum went through lots of investigations and then ran Reimage Repair.
Which flagged his HDD running at 1MB/s when it should have been 40+MB/s.
Keep your eye on the scrolling screen as the program runs at the end of install.

click here;1

Please note I am NOT recommending you purchase the software. I have no idea if it is any good.
But the free part of the scan is useful.

robin_x 15:19 17 Jan 11

Also check your Virtual Memory
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now