Characters are replaced by rectangles

Whaty 15:43 13 Feb 05

Within several applications, instead of seeing text I get rectangles for label descriptions and various other bits and bobs, for example: when I open Windows Media Player (I've got version 7), on the left hand side of the screen there are a number of buttons, these buttons display rectangles instead of descriptive text.

I have more fonts than I know what to do with and I certainly haven't removed any, it's becoming a really annoying problem, anyone got any ideas how I might fix it.?

It might not be related but... when I open PowerPoint it tells me that the Tahoma font is not installed, but it is... and, if I clear the message I can continue to use PowerPoint normally and even select the Tahoma font within the slides.?

It's not earth shattering but it is annoying and I'd like to fix it so if anyone has any ideas I would be really grateful..

Thanks, Terry

Pesala 16:36 13 Feb 05

Try the free fix font folder utility from: click here

How many fonts do you have installed? 500 is more than enough for Windows 9x. Try a clear out, copy them to a spare folder, then uninstall all you don't need.

Use a font utility like The Font Thing click here to keep them under control.

canard 16:44 13 Feb 05

Some fonts are necessary for windows. Tahoma may be as it is a TTF. It's on your win installation disc.

Whaty 20:23 13 Feb 05

The free fix font utility did the job... it highlighted 14 fonts which were creating a problem, I've deleted them and all is back to normal.

This problem has annoyed me for so long, maybe six months or more... thank you so much for your assistance.

Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…