//some 3rd party need geo

Changing Word defaults

RogerB 15:46 29 May 05

Although I use Word 97, I still prefer to keep my files under the old Directory system, and I never use My Documents or My Pictures. But whenever I try to Open or Save to a file, the box always defaults to My Documents/Pictures, and I have to make a series of clicks to navigate to the subdirectory I want. How can I change the defaults so the the box comes up as C:\MSOffice\Winword\ ? And is it possible to make it C:\MsOffice\Excel when I am using Excel, or is that expecting too much?

I'm using Windows 98, if that makes a difference.

Number 7 16:03 29 May 05

In Word or Excel have a look in Tools> Options on the Menu Bar.

There's an option there to have them always save files to a directory you specify.

Taff36 16:18 29 May 05

Number 7 is right. I think in Word 97 it is on the File Locations tab. In Excel hunt around for the "default file Location" (In recent versions it is on the general tab.) Both have either modify and browse or simple browse to features.

RogerB 20:38 01 Jun 05

Many thanks to both of you - I think I've cracked it, although the process is not exactly very clearly described!

Peter 23:20 01 Jun 05

In Word 97 go to the Tools pull-down menu and select "Options". Select the "File Locations" tab and the "File Types - Document, Location - C:\My Documents\Word" should be highlighted. Click on the Modify button and change the location folder as required.

In Excel go to the Tools pull-down menu and select "Options". On the "General" tab alter the "Default File Location" as required.

Peter.

Taff36 12:50 02 Jun 05

I was working from memory and your answer is spot on for Office XP. I think it was the same for Office 97 but he`s sorted it anyway.

RogerB 18:26 02 Jun 05

Thanks, Peter
I'm away for the weekend, but I'll check through your directions next week. They seem clear enough! Thanks for digging me out of a hole. I think I've cracked it anyway, but it's useful to have another opinion.

RogerB

Peter 00:25 03 Jun 05

As the doors would say in HHGTTG "Glad to be of service".

Peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…