Changing to a wireless set up.

Daibus 13:58 20 Nov 05

On my Dell Desktop I have a 1Mb broadband connection via a D-Link 10/100 Mbps PCI card and a D-Link Router but am thinking of purchasing a Notebook computer and would like to set up a wireless connection network so I can use the Notebook in another room as well.

Do I have to completely change the Router and/or the PCI card and what would be the simplest way therefore, of changing my set up?

Many thanks.

mgmcc 14:09 20 Nov 05

If you are intending to leave the desktop PC as it is at the moment, you could plug a "Wireless Access Point" into the router, which effectively converts it to a Wireless Router, and then connect to it from the Notebook PC. If the Notebook isn't already "wireless enabled", it would need to have a Wireless Network Adapter installed, which can be either PCMCIA or USB.

Daibus 14:22 20 Nov 05

Thank you for your reply and that certainly sounds a simple solution.
I intend to leave my Desktop as it is and would make sure that the Notebook I buy is "wireless enabled".

Have you any information or where could I see details of a "Wireless Access Point" that I could connect into my Router?

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…