Changing WinXP from Spanish to English

TallTom 15:57 28 Feb 07

Hi,

My friend has just got hold of a new laptop which happens to have been built in Spain (its an Acer). It has WinXP pre-installed so does not come with the disk included.

At the moment everything is in Spanish and he needs to change it to English. How can this be done if we don't have the WinXP cd?

Thanks in advance.

brundle 15:59 28 Feb 07

Can't be done - even if you did have the CD. click here

ventanas 16:04 28 Feb 07

Necesita comprar un CD en ingles, o aprende espanol.
No es muy dificil.

Jackcoms 16:07 28 Feb 07

"It has WinXP pre-installed so does not come with the disk included"

Why not?

It must have an installation or recovery CD.

What happens if you want to re-install Windows at some point?

Suggest you have a chat with Acer (in English or Spanish).

TallTom 16:14 28 Feb 07

Brundle-
Know you said it can't be done but that link you sent talked about MUI - can't i just dl that to change the language

ventanas-
Sorry can't read Spanish (kind of the problem)

Jackcoms-
Yeah i found that strange too, don't understand why the cd didn't come with the laptop. On startup (when it gets to windows) an Acer window comes up suggesting you burn a recovery cd (thats in english by the way)

Jackcoms 16:18 28 Feb 07

"Acer window comes up suggesting you burn a recovery cd"

Do it then a.s.a.p. - it MIGHT also give you the language conversion option you want.

Some Dell laptops now have the CD burning option. Seems a bit mean for the price of a CD.

ventanas 16:30 28 Feb 07

OK back to English. What Jackcoms says might work. Use the disk you create to reinstall Windows and hopefully English will be available from the language options.

First (if you can understand it) try Control Panel\Regional and Language (the one with the globe)\middle tab (Languages-Idiomas) Click the Details (detalles) button and then Add (anadir) If English is available from the list select it and hope.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:18 28 Feb 07

You should be able o change regional settings and languages to English US.

I did this on a PC in Israel (in hebrew), it was a challenge. Then changed it back after I was done.

TallTom 17:25 05 Mar 07

hasn't exactely been resolved (my mate just got his money refunded and is gonna get an English laptop), but thanks for all who posted.

Quiet Life 18:11 05 Mar 07

Certain Acer laptops with Media Centre give you the choice from Spanish, Portuguese or English on first startup. You have to burn recovery disc and not possible to change the languagr from that first selected. This choice is very unusual as Microsoft insist that language supplied is that of the Country where the laptop is sold.
I believe that Bank Santander were doing special student terms on these laptops and as they operate in these three Countries that is why the choice was available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now