changing from Windows XP to Windows 7

pomerian 17:27 PM 06 Feb 13

I am updating my Windows XP 64 bit Proffesional to Windows 7 is there any way of transfering files ,address book , my documents , and Pictures from the old system to the new as I understand you have to do a clean install of windows 7and it will wipe all my old files.

Ian in Northampton 17:52 PM 06 Feb 13

Does this help?

Failing that: I have now changed PCs so often, I've written a checklist of things not to forget to do. While transferring your data files - documents, images, music and so on - is pretty obvious, ensuring you transfer files from other applications (in my case, for example, MS Money) is less so. Backing up your .pst files (if you're an Outlook user) is pretty vital, as is backing up your bookmarks/favourites.

I also have a long list of software I need to remember to reinstall (if you've never used it, check out - absolutely brilliant timesaver). I also have a note of my email settings.

The other thing, of course, to make sure you have is drivers. Of course, those may be different for W7 (I've only ever moved from one XP machine to another.

How much of the above the files/settings transfer wizard takes care of, I don't know. I should have tried it, but never have. It might have saved me the hassle of having to go through Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and so on and setting them up again like they were before.

bremner 19:23 PM 06 Feb 13

In another thread the other day you mentioned an old tower PC with a battery problem.

Have you checked that the spec of your XP computer can run W7 to a satisfactory level?

nickf 22:11 PM 06 Feb 13

You could also try windows 7 easy transfer . its very easy to set up and use . I just used my flash drive . transfer took about 15 mins in total .

pomerian 12:59 PM 07 Feb 13

To Bremner This is another computer used by my Daughter battery change was OK Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Android apps 2015/2016: Best apps for your new phone or tablet - what apps should I download?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Uniqlo uses your brain waves to find your perfect T-shirt

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…