Changing "Webdings/Wingdings" into readable type.

Rotenone 21:32 04 Jun 05

I have typed a message using a combination of webdings,wingdings, wingdings 2 and wingdings 3 in font size 26. When I highlight it and try to select another font(say Comic Sans MS) to convert it to readable type,all I get is a series of(vertical) rectangles. Can anybody tell me how I can convert my message back into readable words,please.

VoG II 21:33 04 Jun 05

Which program is this in?

VoG II 21:48 04 Jun 05

Via e-mail.

VOG, Thankyou for your very speedy reply.I have typed the message in Microsoft Word.

=======================================

Rotenone, the yellow envelope is for personal messages. It is best if you respond by going to the bottom of the page and typing a response in the "Add a response box".

What you are trying to do won't work because different fonts do not all have symbols that match the relevant character code. Where a character does not exist it will be displayed as a rectangle.

To see what I mean go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Character Map. Select e.g. Wingdings on the dropdown list of fonts and click on one of the characters that you have used. Then click on the dropdown and select a different font and see what is displayed.

DieSse 23:04 04 Jun 05

Just to amplify what VoG™ said -

When you hit a key, the character that goes into the document is not a code for that key, but a code for the relevant symbol. So you hit the Q key, and the code for a Q goes in.

When you use webdings (or anything similar) and you hit the Q key, the code that goes into the document is the code for the webding symbol.

And since the code for a webding is not in the standard character set, if you try to change the font, it doesn't exist.

The reason it works for standard fonts is because a Q is always a Q in a standard font.

I've probably made it muddier - but I try :_))

Rotenone 23:15 04 Jun 05

Thank you both for your help with my queation re Webdings etc..Both answers were very helpful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…