Changing Usr name in Docs & Settings - Win XP SP3

Triggers 20:54 04 Feb 10

Having tried various different methods suggested in this Helproom, I am still unable to remove/change an incorrect 'user'. I am running XP SP3. My laptop is called 'NETBOOK'. When I installed my system - Win XP was actually installed on purchase - I erroneously typed in as user "Ian Leckenbyn" rather than "Ian Leckenby". I accept that this is a somewhat minor mistake, but it is an irritation!
I have tried creating a new 'user' as Administrator, and re-booting. I still find the "Ian Leckenbyn.NETBOOK" folder/file in the Docs & Settings on my C:\ is "Read Only". I can 'untick' the RO box, and ammend the spelling, but I always get the message "Close any prog that may be using file & try again". I am unable to change the name.The suggestion to try "My Computer", "Properties","Advanced", "User Profiles", "Settings" (having created an earlier new account with Admin priviledges and rebooted) and selecting the 'new' 'user' and 'Copy to' does NOT work - all options are 'greyed-out' though both 'Ian Leckenbyn' and the 'new' profile are shown!
I cannot believe this cannot be 'sorted' in an easier manner? Any further help gratefully received!
Many thanks - Ian Leckenby(n)

Technotiger 20:58 04 Feb 10

Try changing user account details while in Safe Mode!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:03 04 Feb 10

Change Name and Company Information After You Install Win XP

Start/Run/Regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion in the left pane.

Then In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOrganization. Under "Value data", type the name that you want, and then click OK.

To change the name of the registered owner, In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOwner. Under "Value data", type the name that you want, and then click OK/Exit

Triggers 09:03 05 Feb 10

All Resolved.
I tried the Safe Mode option and discovered I couldn't boot into S-M.... Re-booted, and used 'Last known Good' and booted OK. Then did the 'regedit' bit, re-booted - OK! - and found I could now delete the wretched ian.leckenbyn.NETBOOK user ;-)
Solved - and many thanks.
Ian

Technotiger 09:14 05 Feb 10

Grreat, thanks for your feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant