Changing user name

Grandad D 22:05 04 Apr 03

Hi, I have an old computer that is running win ME. I would like to give it to my grandson but cant find a way to change the usernane that was put in when the ME was installed. Is there a way to do this please. Thanks, Dennis

Totally-braindead 22:22 04 Apr 03

I believe that once the name is put in, when you install the operating system, its in for good and can't be changed unless you do a clean reinstall. As I say "I believe" this to be so, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

beeuuem 22:32 04 Apr 03

This is from click here
If you are using Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me:
WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall Windows. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
NOTE: For information about how to edit the registry, view the Changing Keys And Values online Help topic in Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE). Note that you should make a backup copy of the registry files (SYSTEM.DAT and USER.DAT) before you edit the registry.
Use Registry Editor to change the RegisteredOrganization and RegisteredOwner values in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

jediknight007 22:40 04 Apr 03

I don't have Windows ME and I dunno what exactly you are asking for but if you are talking about the username which appears on the Start menu, you can change it through the Control Panel and then User Accounts.

midase 22:45 04 Apr 03

A simple program can be found click here about halfway down ChgOwnOrg.vbs Download to the desktop and use from there.

beeuuem 23:05 04 Apr 03

That's a useful site now bookmarked - thanks

bvw in bristol 23:53 04 Apr 03

Nice link, thanks.

mark e 00:07 05 Apr 03

midase
thanks for the usefull link

Grandad D 08:37 05 Apr 03

Thanks to you all. midase, That program seems to be all I want, Cheers, Dennis

midase 20:35 05 Apr 03

Pleased to help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…