changing from usb to ethernet adsl modem

reddwarfcrew 18:00 26 May 03

I'm considering changing my speedtouch 'green frog' freeserve modem and getting click here (D-link 300G ADSL modem)

Will it be simply a case of installing the drivers, connect it to the adsl filter and on-board lan socket and then setting up a broadband network connection (PPPoE) in XP?

Will this mean that the PC is connected as soon as it boots without the need for a dial up?

Is there anything that I should know?

Thanks.

bambam005 22:42 26 May 03

rather than going with what can be a bit of a hassle sometimes ( the ethernet option ) , I would suggest trying the Intel Anypoint 3240 USB modem . They have got more info here click here?

You don't use the DSL filter with ethernet , but yeah , if you do choose to go that road , connect it with your NIC card - again check the correct PPo? settings with that of Freeserve's .

It won't dial up automatically on restarting your PC but this can be sorted out by adding it to your startup menu so that it does . You usually have to contact the router/ethernet modem by going through IE ( typing in the IP Address of the modem/router in the address bar ) and then accessing the connection from there .

D-Link are well respected hardware providers too . Hope this helps

jeez 22:45 26 May 03

ethernet is by far the best way to connect to your adsl/cable modem as it uses less system resources than usb.

bambam005 23:09 26 May 03

is different to other USB modems as it uses more power and system resources , so I would still suggest trying another USB modem borrowed from a friend and seeing if this makes any difference .

reddwarfcrew 18:07 27 May 03

I have a athlon 2400+ with 512 ddr 2700 ram.

Everyone I know on BB is on NTL BB.

Any idea how to repair IE6 on XPsp1?

thanks.

bambam005 00:25 28 May 03

To repair IE6 on SP1 go to Start->Settings->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programmes->Install/Uninstall Tab->Highlight Microsoft IE->Click on repair option .

Another way is to disable Enhhanced Host Controller from the USB Controllers in the device manager - get there through right clicking on My Computer and going to properties and selecting Device Manager from the hardware option .

If that option is not there then its another thing you can illiminate .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…