Changing to TT

brambles 12:46 31 Oct 08

Can someone kindly tell me whether, in the event of migrating from ISP-BT Internet to ISP-Talk Talk, I can retain my @btinternet.com email address. I understood that Yahoo emails are for life - but not 100% certain if that applies to BT Yahoo. Assume existing BT router would not be compatible with TT. Nothing wrong with BT service - simply the economies TT offer (initially!) Brambles

howard64 17:48 31 Oct 08

you may find that bt kill the email address the moment you leave. I am with tt and a neighbour just recently went over to them and they were supplied with an adsl modem router with built in wireless which came with the password and details already set up in the router.

Sea Urchin 18:24 31 Oct 08

Assuming that BT leave your account active you would certainly be able to collect mail from there, but you cannot use that address to send. You will need a TalkTalk email address for sending. I am with TT and can still collect messages from a 5-year-old dormant account on OneTel - mostly spam now, but I'm curious to see how long it will carry on.

Switcher 18:27 31 Oct 08

If the onetel account was a dialup PAYG you will still be able to send emails from it

Rahere 22:00 31 Oct 08

You may be fine with any of the options above but one optin not mentioned yet is to buy your own domain - many companies offer this.

The benfits are huge - you will never lose your email address when you move ISP as it is independent of them plus you can have multiple email addresses for the family or even for business/shopping eg [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] you get the idea.

Cost starts at £2 a yearfor .co.uk, .com and .org etc a lot more, you can chose if you want webspace package too. I have done this for years now and it's taken a lot of hassle out of moving ISPs

Hope this helps

Stuartli 23:45 31 Oct 08

I've had a dialup Pipex e-mail account now for 12 years - I still collect e-mails from the account even though I've been with WorldOnline, Tiscali and now TalkTalk in the meantime.

The same goes for WorldOnline e-mails - what a shame that Tiscali ever got involved.........

brambles 18:09 01 Nov 08

Much appreciate all your responses.
Brambles

Stuartli 21:16 01 Nov 08

I also enjoy an involvement with a domain account as mentioned by Rahere, which was set up by one of the offspring some years ago.

However, I don't use it for making purchases on the web or similar activity due to the co.uk section of the e-mail address.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…