Changing from standard IDE to SATA

Colin 17:09 29 Mar 05

I've recently built a new PC with a single SATA drive. Everything is fine apart from the fact that the SATA drive is set as default in the BIOS as "Standard IDE", not SATA. The mother board is an ASUS PG5D1 which supports native SATA, i.e. no 3rd party drivers required. I wish I had known this at the outset, as I understand that to use the full benefit of SATA, I need to set the SATA drive to AHCI in the BIOS, but it is not possible to just change the hard drive in the BIOS to AHCI, but I will need to reformat my hard drive and select "AHCI" in the BIOS before installing XP. Is there a way to change to AHCI without a format? Or should I stay with the drive set as IDE as the performance isn't all that different?

Fingees 17:18 29 Mar 05

AHCI is only the interface. No to do with the format.

As you drive is installed ok. Set your CD as first boot. HD as 2nd. Boot from CD and follow instructions. Xp uses fat 32 or NTFS format, it's up to you on installation

Colin 17:31 29 Mar 05

Thanks for the response, Fingees.

The PC is up and running with XP already installed as NTFS. Do you mean that I can reinstall Windows by booting from the XP CD rather than reformatting? I have tried changing the drive to AHCI in the BIOS, but the PC wouldn't boot up, and I had to change it back to Standard IDE.

Colin 11:41 04 Apr 05

I bit the bullet, reformatted the PC, changed to AHCI in the BIOS, hit F6 on the load up screen and loaded the SATA drivers. It works well and hard drive benchmarks are higher than before.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…