changing shared graphics MB.

six-h 23:33 26 Aug 09

I've just upped the RAM allocated to graphics from 16 to 32MB because youtube vids were jerky but it doesn't seem to have made much difference.

I can go to 64MB, but don't really want to lose that much of the max 1GB that I have available.

I noticed whilst in BIOS there was also an Item labeled "Graphics Software" set at 64MB, but variable between 4 and 256MB in "double up" steps (4, 8. 16 etc) can some one explain what this is, and how changing it might affect video and computing performance?

wee eddie 05:00 27 Aug 09

the reason for jerky YouTube Videos is not your graphics Set-up, but your Download Speed.

six-h 21:53 27 Aug 09

Thanks for that David!
Good job in a way, that I tried it on my Main PC, with the volume up high on my little lappy it would have probably shaken the speakers loose!!

Wee Eddie, I don't think it's the d/l speed, since I get the same even when a vid has fully loaded.
Some short ones play OK but just moving the mouse is enough to cause it to pause and it rarely recovers a smooth delivery afterwards.

Regarding the "Graphics Software" item, (they do say if all else fails, read the instructions!)lol
Not that it helps!

There is the following note in the Manual, concerning something called "Graphics Aperture" which immediately follows the notes on "Embedded Shared Memory" and since it mentions it is pre-set to 64MB, I'm presuming that this is what my BIOS refers to as "Graphics Software".
Still no idea if altering that would help or hinder my current problem.
(Quote Manual)
Graphics Aperture
(Advanced Menu>Advanced Chipset Control)
The AGP aperture is an area of system RAM reserved for use by the AGP card for storing textures if it needs to.
The RAM is available for use by the system as normal if not used by the graphics card.
The recommended setting is 64MB, and this is the default setting.
This setting should not be set lower than 32MB.
(Un-Quote)

six-h 22:03 27 Aug 09

Maybe a good idea at this point to give some system specs:-
Clevo D22ES laptop
2GHz Celeron desktop processor 256K L2 Cache & 400MHz FSB.
RAM 1GB (Max)
(From Manual) Display: UMA Architecture with 16/32/64 MB System Memory sharable as Display Memory
UltraAGP™
Integrated 128-bit 2D/3D graphics engine
Motion compensation and IDCT accelerator for DVD content playback
Fully DirectX8 compliant graphic engine
CRT resolution up to 1920 x 1200 x 16M
(I presume the last line above refers to the "TV Out" facility which I've not tried)

woodchip 22:05 27 Aug 09

Try turning Graphics Acceleration down. In Display Properties\Control Panel Settings\Advanced

six-h 01:49 28 Aug 09

Hi woodchip, I'll give that a try, I did post this response around 10:30 I think, but for some reason it didn't show up!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac