changing search engine in address bar in IE7?

PC_HelpMe 17:06 26 Apr 10

Hi folks,

How do I change the search engine when I type something in the address bar in IE7 and will it be the same if I have IE8?

Woolwell 17:40 26 Apr 10
  PC_HelpMe 18:23 26 Apr 10

Thanks for this. I tried your link and it says that Google is my default search. I have just noticed that when I click on enter to start the search, it starts off as Google, but then the results that come up are for Talk Talk! Any ideas?

Woolwell 19:44 26 Apr 10

Do you have a Talk Talk toolbar installed?

PC_HelpMe 20:15 26 Apr 10

No it is just the standard one that comes with IE. I have been trying to find add ons that may have something to do with it - but can find nothing to do with Talk Talk!

Woolwell 22:02 26 Apr 10

Bit stuck by that. Try changing it to Bing and see what happens and then change back to Google.

Sea Urchin 22:10 26 Apr 10

Looks like you are 25 years ahead of me :@)

click here

T I M B O 22:18 26 Apr 10

1) Open IE
2) Click Tools then internet options.
3) You will now see the home page with the house that has a blue roof. Just below this is a white box, you may already have Google listed there. If you wish you can have just the one there or have as many as you like. Just put a click next to the existing link there and hit the enter key and type in ur web page then click apply.

I think this is what you are after.

Sea Urchin 10:29 27 Apr 10

That sets Google as the Home Page - but Jayzee33 is wanting to set the default search engine in the address bar.

Woolwell 10:37 27 Apr 10

I've just noticed that you stated that you click on enter to start the search. Where are you clicking on enter? I have moved on to IE8 but I think it is the same as IE7 and in the search box on the address bar there isn't an enter but a magnifying glass and find.

T I M B O 11:44 27 Apr 10

1) Go to "Control Panel"
2) Click on "Internet options"
3) Make sure that you are on the general tab. (Default)
4) Look for Search & click on "Settings"
5) You should now be in "Manage Add-ons" Bottom left click "Find more search providers"
6) Click on the one you require & follow the prompts.
7) Reboot everything & hey presto !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…