changing screen and lid on laptop

mikki16 14:29 PM 07 Jun 12

Hi I have 2 Toshiba laptops and the screen on one of them is black it boots up but no picture come on. I have another Toshiba the same size and wonder how to take the lid / screen and transfer to the other one. any one any ideas ?

john bunyan 14:54 PM 07 Jun 12

Have a look here:

Screen change

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:27 PM 07 Jun 12

Tosh Satellite screen removal here

Hardest bit I found was removing the bezel

Taff™ 09:19 AM 09 Jun 12

Are the two Toshibas almost identical models? Specifically the chassis and the location of the screws on the underside in the corners nearest the hinges. I recently swapped a complete lid with screen between an HP and a Compaq laptop because they were absolutely identical.

If they aren't you will have to follow Fruit Bat /\0/\'s link and remove both screens. A right fiddly job as he says. The next problem you are likely to encounter are the wiring connectors - are they identical? In my experience Toshiba use different ones depending on where the actual panel was sourced. Strongly recommend you strip the donor machine to inspect these before complete disassembly. Then do similar with the other machine and compare.

You may then find that you need to remove the entire lid assemblies which will involve stripping off the keyboard and plastic bezels around it to reveal the Video cable connectors on the motherboard. It might help if you posted both model numbers and we'll point you at some service manuals!!!

onthelimit1 09:55 AM 09 Jun 12

Here is the best source of laptop manuals I've found

robin_x 10:22 AM 09 Jun 12

May only need the Backlight Inverter module swapping over.

(still requires screen housing disassembly of course)

Shine a torch on black screen to see if faint picture.

Taff™ 10:41 AM 09 Jun 12

onthelimit1 - Great link!

roinofloxley - if that is the case it might be easier to buy one rather than swap them over ;0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Harry Potter's graphic designers showcase magical props & posters in new exhibition

Apple rumours & predictions 2016: What to expect from Apple in 2016