changing registered name on Windows

Rogerfredo 12:22 19 Jul 04

I have recently aquired an old PC off a friend, bits of which I have used to build another PC for sale.
One of the working parts I used was the hard drive which had Windows ME installed on it.
Since the old PC is "scrap", I believe that I can legally use this os for the new PC.
However, I do not want to sell the unit when my friends name is displayed as the registered owner.
Anyone know how this can be changed?
I have tried setting up from the CD but it retains the old name, even when asking for the serial number! Since his windows ME CD is an upgrade , and I do not have Windows 98, I cannot do a format and clean install.

ventanas 12:29 19 Jul 04

If the ME disc is upgrade only, you must also pass on a Win98 disc if you wish to legally sell this machine. Without one you do not have a full licence to pass on. If any of the discs are or were OEM you cannot use the OS at all. They were only for the pc they were supplied with.

Also have you given any thought as to how any buyer would reinstall Windows if they had to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…