changing processor and updating bios

ikoz 12:18 10 Jan 06

Hi i am putting in a new processor K6 550MH if i need to update the bios do i update with the old processor a 350MH still on board or update after i replace with the new?

chub_tor 12:25 10 Jan 06

If you are certain that you need to update the bios to accomodate the new processor speed - you might want to check the motherboard manual first - then my preference would be to do the updated with the old processor in place. That way you know you have a known good configuration. You can then change the processor out and on boot up see that it has been detected correctly.

If you change the proceesor first and then something happens on boot up you may be forced to go back to the old processor.

Totally-braindead 12:29 10 Jan 06

You can do either but the difference between the two processors is not that great plus if you flash the BIOS and it goes wrong the motherboard will not then work. As long as you realise this then go ahead, the motherboard manufacturers website should tell you if you need to update the BIOS. Personally I would do it with the old processor in place because its working fine just now. It should work with the new one in place but you never know.

ikoz 14:42 10 Jan 06

thanks i'll update with the old and then bring in the new

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017