Changing photo Format

Geronimo. 18:09 09 Dec 08

can anyone help me please this is a long running thing with me as i dont know anything about picture file formats, ive got Office 2003 on my pc & ive tried to upload a picture from a word document & im getting this from the website i am trying to upload it to:The file "" does not have a valid image extension.
Valid image extensions are: gif, jpg, jpeg, png, bmp"

How do i check what format the picture is in & how can i change it for free..???

Thankyou for your help..

Have you tried right clicking on the picture and going to properties to see the extension?

eedcam 18:38 09 Dec 08

Right click on ther pic and choosen save picture as then Jpeg

Geronimo. 19:50 09 Dec 08

Thankx but i see nothing indicating its format on both of those suggestions..?

Technotiger 19:57 09 Dec 08

Simply rename the picture - for instance: boat.jpg
or cat.jpg or whatever it represents, then try again.

Rahere 20:14 09 Dec 08

You cannot upload a picture that is part of a document that easily - If you are trying to copy/upload a photograph from a word document you need to save it as a separate file before you can upload this.

Select the picture in the document, then right click it, select copy, now open Paint program (comes free with Windows under accessories)from Edit click Paste it should now appear in the window. Now click File Save As and as a .jpg file.

You should now be able to upload the file.

brambles 20:53 09 Dec 08

If you have Vista there is a very easy way. Open the Word document with the Picture you want to extract. Now open a programme you may not realise you have called the Snipping Tool. This will put a white opaque covering over your Word document. You will see you will be able to draw a selection round the picture in the document and save it as a JPEG. This is the Vista way of doing what used to be done in Paint - Rahere's system will work but Snipping is a quicker way. brambles

Geronimo. 20:55 09 Dec 08

Rahere, thanks i get this message when i try that..?? any more advice please..?

C:Documents and Settings\(my name)\Desktop\device manager.doc paint cannot read this this file,
this is not a valid bitmap file, or its format is not currently supported.

Geronimo. 20:59 09 Dec 08

brambles sorry i also meant to say a big thankyou!!

sorry about that!!

Geronimo. 08:32 10 Dec 08

no one got any other sugestions please..?

Technotiger 08:55 10 Dec 08

Download and install click here

Next, open the document with picture.

Then using FastStone, choose Output to File(Auto save), then take a Screen-shot of *just* the picture itself using the 'Capture Rectangle Region' option. The picture will then be automatically saved into your My Pictures folder.

The rest is history, as they say!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac