Changing pc, what do i need to do!

gazmix 20:07 07 Nov 07

Hi
I'm changing pc, i need to backup my Outlook Express inbox & i think i have backed up my documents on my usb stick. Can i do the same with OE inbox mails!

The pc i'm getting has no programmes on it, so how can i go online to download a firewall & other stuff without being vulnerable!

Do i need to contact Orange(my isp) for them to help me set up my accounts for internet & mail?.

Also what do i need extra, like java etc that being a novice i wouldn't normaly download!
I'll download Spybot, Adaware, AVG, CCleaner, Foxit, but whatabout other stuff in background like java etc!

I have Windows live messenger, 8.1 i think, but how do i know which it is!
Same with my Windows Media Player, i use Media player classic!, can i still download these! & how do i find out which versions i have for sure!
And how to get everything in synch!!

Cheers Gaz

woodchip 20:10 07 Nov 07

Have a look at menu in Outlook Express You should be able to Export to File. You can then copy to a disc or flash drive

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:30 07 Nov 07

The pc i'm getting has no programmes on it

Does it have windows?
Start - Programs - accessories -system tools - file and settings transfer wizard.

will copy all yor favourites - emails - address booke my documents to a medium of your choice (UB stick)
rund again on the new Pc to load them all in.

Avast4 click here
AVG antivirus click here

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
Spycatcher express click here
a2 click here
Windows Defender click here
AVG Antispware click here
Superantispyware click here

Firewalls :-
Comodo Personal Firewall 2.0 click here
Filesclab click here
Jetico click here
Kerio4 click here
Netveda click here
Nrt firewall 2.0.1 click here
Outpost free click here
R-firewall click here
Securepoint click here
Softperfect click here
Sygate click here
Wyvernworks click here
ZoneAlarm click here

gazmix 23:44 07 Nov 07

Woodchip
Yes i have heard of this method from a friend at work.
I have Outlook Express 6 & in Tools>Export>messages, it says:-
'This will export messages from OE to Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Exchange'.
Where is the file here you mentioned?

My friend has some other mail programme,(i can't think which) & he says file > import&export > import & export wizard > export to file > next > personal folder file > next > select box to export > next > save to desktop > finish

Gaz

gazmix 00:12 08 Nov 07

Java, whatabout that!, isn't that what makes all animations on websites move on my pc!!

java se runtime environment 6 update 1 i have now in 'add/remove programmes', would i need to upload this & what would happen if i didn't

adobe flashplayer 9 active x, whats this!! do i need to install this too.

will the 'file & settings transfer wizard' do all this for me??

i need help

gazmix 13:50 09 Nov 07

anyone about Java, do i need to install this onto a new pc that just has xp on it & no otehr programmes at all.
I guess i'd need to download a firewall, but how would i do that, as i'd need to go online & wouldn't then i be at risk until the firewall is activated?
Thanks

woodchip 14:18 09 Nov 07

OK I'm hear I do not use Outlook Express But as I said above. If you look in the Menu at the top of OE it should be in one of those, It may come under tools or setting up a new account. you need to have a look around in there

Meshuga 14:27 09 Nov 07

gazmix, why not use your old pc to download firewall and similar progs to a usb memory stick, that way you are not at risk, and then transfer them to the new PC while its off line. As long as the memory stick has a good capacity you can download a lot.

keef66 14:32 09 Nov 07

Download free antivirus (AVG or Avast!) and a firewall, chose 'save' rather than 'run', and burn them onto a disk now. You'll then be able to install on your new pc before it goes on the net.

Java, Adobe Acrobat, Flash players generally etc etc; all available for download once you're protected and attached to the net on your new pc.

Since the new pc will be running Windows XP, just use the files & settings transfer wizard to move all your emails, documents, internet settings etc. Might even work for your ISP stuff too

Karakorum 15:02 09 Nov 07

If you're moving from XP to XP, then one way of keeping your old Outlook Express files is:-

In OE go to:
Tools > Options > Maintenance > Store Folder, and see what the location of your current OE files is. (Probably C:\Documents and Settings \User name \Local Settings \Application Data \Identities \{Coded} \Microsoft \Outlook Express)

Go to that location and copy the whole folder to a USB stick.

When you get your new system do the same check to find out where the OE Store Folder is and just replace that folder with the copy you made before.

BUT - If you're moving to Windows Vista then ignore the above as I'm not sure how that works.

gazmix 19:59 09 Nov 07

Karakorum thanks & all others too
Karakorum, do i click on 'change' after 'store folder'?

After documents & settings there is user & users!, no
'user name/local settings/Application data/Identities/Microsoft/Outlook Express'

I've looked everywhere.

After Store Folder, it does say where you said it is, but i can't find it!

After 'documents & settings', there's user & in there is 'contacts, desktop, my documents,start menu, favourites & cookies' thats all.:(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now