Changing password

gemma_loan 19:34 24 May 05

Hi,
I have inherited an old computer from my sister with XP running, everytime I try to log on it says that the password has expired and I need to change it - Unforch my sister cant remember the password for it - is there any way I can take this setting off - I cant get into my system at all and if i press cancel the blue log on screen stays on - does anyone know a default password I can try?
Thanks in advance for nay help you can give me.
Gemma

mattyc_92 19:37 24 May 05

What do you mean "deactive"??? You CAN deactivate this very easily, but it wont help with a forgotten password....

Is this user an administrator??? If so, is it the only administrator???

Have you tried logging in as the Bulit-In administrator (from safe mode) and just remove the password for the user account you are trying to access???

gemma_loan 19:39 24 May 05

I cant log into anything at all - Ive tried in safe mode and it still wont let me log on!
And yes I ment deactivate lol

mattyc_92 19:40 24 May 05

You can only deactivate this feature, if you can log in as an administrator....

I am guessing that you haven't got any user acount that has administrator rights that you can log in as??? I am correct in guessing this??

VoG II 19:42 24 May 05
  gemma_loan 19:46 24 May 05

i think im in i just clicked ok without putting any password in

mattyc_92 19:51 24 May 05

OK... that is what I meant (just forgot to say there is no password... lol)...

Now you need to go to "start->control panel->User Accounts" and click onot the user account you have forgot the password.... Click onto either "remove password" or "cahnge password"....

As for the "you have xx days to change your password", just go to the control panel again and got to "performance & maintenance->administrative tools->Local Security Policy"

Now got to "Account Policies->Password Policies" and change the option "minum password age" to "0"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…