changing partition sizes in XP

Jabba10 13:50 03 Oct 03

When I bought my computer, the main drive was partiioned into a 'C' and 'D' drive with 'C' holding all the programs etc.

My hard disk is 120MB. However, the C partition size is only 30MB and it's getting worryingly small!...is there a way of changing the partition sizes so that drive C increases in size to say 50MB?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

alcudia 14:15 03 Oct 03

Surely you mean 120Gb

Go to Start\Help & Support and type Disk management into the search area. Then choose Using disk management. The info in here may be what you need.

graham√ 14:17 03 Oct 03

Help 'Extend a basic volume'.

froggg 14:30 03 Oct 03

when you install programmes,they all want to be on the c drive-change this to d when installing them(it will tell you it is being installed at,for instance,c:/programme files -click on the browse button,delete c ,replace with d.)

Chief-Engineer 14:31 03 Oct 03

If you have XP Pro then you can convert your drive to a dynamic disk and resize the 'volume' through the Disk Manager.
If you are using XP Home or XP Pro on a portable computer then this option is not available.
Whats wrong with using the 90gb on your D drive

leo49 14:33 03 Oct 03

You'll need 3rd-party software like Partition Magic - you cannot extend a system/boot volume within Windows.

Chief-Engineer 14:40 03 Oct 03

My apologies leo49 you are right you cannot extend a system volume or boot volume.

AndySD 14:47 03 Oct 03

The only way to do this in XP is to Remove your D Drive click here then create say 3 new drives with the space (where the D Drive was)using Disk Managment click here Right click on the unallocated space and create a disk. Now mount one of the disks onto a folder on C Drive click here

Or just buy Partition Magic its simpler.

Jabba10 16:25 03 Oct 03

thanks for your help everyone...I think I'll buy partion magic...sounds like the simple solution!

james55 23:26 03 Oct 03

PartitionMagic 8.0 is the best thing I have bought for effortless resizing and merging of partitions, anything less than 8.0 wont be able to cope with NTFS. I have had no trouble using this with Windows XP Home Edition.

leo49 23:44 03 Oct 03

"anything less than 8.0 wont be able to cope with NTFS" - not actually true.PM6 worked fine with Win 2k NTFS and I'm still using PM7 on one of my OS's with XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…