Changing partition size in XP

steved 13:26 19 Mar 04

I've got my 40gb hard drive partitioned into two, with XP in the smaller partition. This partition is now nearly full - can I make it bigger using XP, or do I need additional software?

Mankster 13:32 19 Mar 04
  pj123 14:05 19 Mar 04

I wonder if Ranish (free) from click here would do it for you. Worth a try.

temp003 14:06 19 Mar 04

No, XP can't resize partition for you (you'll have to delete partitions, lose all data, then create new bigger partition).

To do what you want, you'll need third party software such as Partition Magic.

There is one solution in XP which you can use, if your partitions are formatted with NTFS. But it may not suit your purpose.

You can "mount" your C drive to an empty folder on the other partition (I assume it's D).

On your D drive, create a new folder, call it whatever you want, say "Mounted C".

Go into Disk Management (Click Start, Run, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter).

Right click your C partition, select Change drive letter or path. Click Add, select Mount in this NTFS folder, browse to and highlight the D:\Mounted C folder, click OK, OK. Exit Diskmgmt.

In My Computer, the D:\Mounted C folder will now have a "drive" icon, not a folder icon. The contents of your C drive will also show up in this "Mounted C" drive/folder as well - as the Mounted C folder is considered part of the C drive. The C drive is no longer limited to the size of the original C partition.

This may not suit you as you perhaps want to keep things separate (and it may have been the purpose of having partitions in the first place).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…