Changing from Outlook Express to Outlook

J B 11:52 08 Apr 06

I have been thinking about changing e-mail programs from O/E to Outlook and I have a few questions about doing so.
1. How do I import e-mail settings from O/E to Outlook?
2. I have already imported my contacts, but how do I import existing folders and current e-mails within O/E?
3. Is Outlook fairly straight forward to use or will I get a hangover trying to use it?
4. I am not a business user, just a home user,and since I have Office installed I would like to take advantage of this program, so with that in mind, what are the pros and cons of doing so?
5. If I do decide to change, can I reverse the process if I can't get on with Outlook?

The only other thing is have I checked out Thunderbird yet? The answer to that is no, however I have read about it but thought I would look into Outlook first as I already have it on the computer. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening. J.B.

Forum Editor 11:58 08 Apr 06

is feature-rich when compared to OE, but that's to be expected - it's primarily designed with business users in mind. Outlook is so important to me, and I have used it for so long that I seriously doubt I would be able to run my business life without it.

You'll obviously find it a tad strange to begin with, but it won't be long before you're comfortable, and I'm sure you'll find some of the features very useful - I think it's worth having for the Calendar alone.

Importing your existing OE mail is very easy - just go to File and select import. Then select the option to import internet mail, and select OE from the menu that's offered.

VoG II 11:59 08 Apr 06

It depends slightly on which version of Outlook but click here

J B 12:05 08 Apr 06

My version is Office professional 2003. J.B.

VoG II 12:13 08 Apr 06

2003 version click here

J B 19:55 08 Apr 06

Thankyou for all the help. Got it swapped over and will play with it to see how I get on. Just one other thing, does Outlook download e-mail when you open it up like O/E or do you have to manually check for new mail, and if so how do you set it to download mail automatically?

TonyV 20:11 08 Apr 06

I have started using Outlook in place of OE6, and every time I fire it up it checks for mail. Look in Tools/Options/Mail Delivery, and make the necessary checks in there.

TonyV

J B 20:36 08 Apr 06

I assume you mean schedule send and recieve every so many minutes.

I will be a little tardy in answering as I am going out for the night. I will check back tommorrow A/M.
J.B.

TonyV 10:47 09 Apr 06

Click on both in Mail Account Options. Set the time to what ever you want!

TonV

J B 09:54 10 Apr 06

I am back, my server was down all day sunday so sorry for the lateness in my answer. I have done what everyone said and will let you all know how I get on. Again thanks for all the help. J.B.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5