Changing OS from Vista to XP

golfpro 15:39 13 Nov 07

I have bought a couple of laptops for my employees which have a German version of Vista pre-installed. I would like to change these to an English version of XP. Is this possible without problems? would I have to do a clean install, and if so, How do I get rid of vista in the lap tops before I install the XP.

mymate 16:42 13 Nov 07
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:43 13 Nov 07

Have a read

click here

Can you get all the drivers for XP?

You must use a full retail or OEM version of XP (not the cd from your old computer) this makes life really easy and can usually be downloaded from the web.
You must also have a genuine XP key, which has not been used on another system (without genuine key you will not get updates and your system will be labeled as using pirated software by Microsoft.

Next you should know or find out the specifications of your system, to do this goto Manufactures website.

The most important step is to find out if your hardisk is using SATA interface (if so you will require the SATA XP drivers and a floppy disk, as this is the only way that XP can install these drivers.)

Install XP via cd rom by booting cdrom at system start (if you cannot do this then you must access your system bios at first boot by pressing F2 or Del keys(or whatever key your system uses) and change the boot option to cdrom as first drive.

If your system uses SATA press F6 when XP prompts "press F6 to install other" at very beginng of XP install and install sata drivers from floppy.

Use our guides to install XP

click here

After install you will have to install your systems other drivers(ie. chipset graphics audio etc) found by reading your system specifications and downloading from your Manufactures website)

AN XP INSTALL IS NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED AND WILL REQUIRE A THOROUGH UNDERSTANDING OF YOUR SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS A FULL RETAIL OR OEM XP DISK AND CORRECT XP DRIVERS.

mymate 16:44 13 Nov 07
  golfpro 07:51 14 Nov 07

Thank you for your replies. Since posting this thread, I have been reading up a little bit more on this and everybody like you said the same "Its not easy".
I don't blame Microsoft, I blame the retailers for jumping in with both feet and pre-installing Vista en mass without giving customers a choice in the matter. I guess I shall have to have a re-think on this, and see if my colleagues can get on with the German vista, if not, then let them install an English version of Vista if that's what they want, and if they are willing to pay for it. After all they are working in a German speaking Country.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…