Changing OS Help?

Daxsimus 20:20 31 Dec 04

Hi, I have a laptop that was originally running Win ME, I upgraded to XP Pro but now the CD drive does not work as it says it is not supported by Win XP.I now only have a cd for win 98 as the other has been wiped from the harddrive and I do not have a disc. Can I install the 98 over the Xp or not? Or has anyone got any other ideas how to make the drive work.
Thanks for any help, Dax

mattyc_92 20:23 31 Dec 04

You should be able to "uninstall" xp off your system if you have ticked that option during installation!!!

If you want to install Win98, you will have to format the system and boot from the Win98 disk to install this o/s

Technotiger 20:25 31 Dec 04

Hi, perhaps if you could update the Driver for the cd drive on-line? Just a thought. Cheers.

mattyc_92 20:28 31 Dec 04

Technotiger how could you do that!!!!! Most drives haven't got a "driver update" because they being "optical drives".... Having said this, some cd drives have updates....

Also you could try to upgrade "firewire"

Daxsimus 20:34 31 Dec 04

Hi yes I wondered about updating the driver but I cannot find one. It is a "QSI.SDR.081" If anyone can find one for me that would be a great help. Although it does play some CD Rom discs but not all and plays no DVD discs. That was why I was going to revert back to 98 as all was ok before Win XP so i thought would be ok again with 98.

Technotiger 21:00 31 Dec 04

Hi again, have just checked, sorry - there is no firmware update for that drive at this moment. Drives today are not expensive, perhaps either a change of drive or revert to Win98?

Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck and Happy New Year.

Daxsimus 21:19 31 Dec 04

thanks for the advice. I think i will try 98 first next a new drive. Have a happy new year too!Dax

woodchip 21:41 31 Dec 04

Download KillDisk use that then start computer with a Win98 OEM Floppy disc, click here put a disc in drive and double click download to create disc. after you have used KillDisk start with Win98 disc let it load to A:\> then type FORMAT C: after you restart with floppy choose start with CDrom support if you CD drive was D:\ in will be E:\ to load windows so with Win98 CD in comp just type E:\setup
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…