Changing OS On a Dell Optiplex G1

SolvaCollective 19:14 06 May 03

Hi guys I recently encoutered problems with my system. As a result I sent it to a computer repairer. He put windows 98 (I had windows NT B4)
However since then i have encoutered software problems. To rectify this I want to put a new windows OS on my system as well as having the disk (as when my system was repaired the chap put win 98 on the system but didnt give me the disk).

Will I need to format the drive (if so how do i do this) or will the windows disk pretty much boot up itself?

Thanks guys

Kitz E Kat 21:29 06 May 03

I would need a bit more detail to give any help, like what OS are you going to put on ? Do you have the disk? You say you are having problems with 98 what problems? You may only need to change the drivers etc to fix this and not do a full install. In generall its a fair bet that the best OS for a computer is the one that came with it in the first place, were you happy with NT4? If so and you have the disk you could reload it you can format the HD if you want, some people think its a good idea but you dont have to, it can get rid of dodgy files etc and start clean, NT will load on top of 98, during the load ot NT it will identify the partition/s on your drive, it will give the oppertunity to format the drive,follow the instructions, its quite easy, and you should have no probs, if you do , do another post and someone will be happy to help, hope thats of some use
Kitz E

SolvaCollective 14:51 07 May 03

Hi there. Im going to put windows 2000 on the machine. The problem I have is with loading new software onto the machine. It seems that some of the directory files from my windows 98se or missing for some reason and it always asks for me to insert the disk which of course I dont have.

Kitz E Kat 20:33 08 May 03

You should be able to load 2000 without a major problem,might be slow to load, you can load of the CD, if your computer supports this, you can check this in the BIOS, if not you can make a boot floppy. You dont need to reformat prior to installation you can do this during installation.

SolvaCollective 14:35 09 May 03

So I could just make a boot floppy of someone else PC and then just put it in my floppy and then I would get 2000? Is it that simple and where do I check in the bios if my computer supports this?

Cheers

SolvaCollective 17:47 11 May 03

So I could just make a boot floppy of someone else PC and then just put it in my floppy and then I would get 2000? Is it that simple and where do I check in the bios if my computer supports this?
Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…