changing or disabling drive letters.

davida 20:21 14 Jan 06

I was given a hitachi video camera at christmas. It records directly to DVD RAM.
I installed the software on my PC. my computer shows the camera drive when it is connected via USB and the files can be listed. The movie software provided by hitachi displays the message 'drive F is used by another application'.The trouble shooter suggests exioting the other application, but I cannot find what it is.
I loaded the software onto a laptop and had no problems. The video and still pictures were downloaded and I was able to edit.
I have checked with device manager etc. and at one stage I found I could change the drive letter. Which I did to R thinking this is well up the alphabet, shouldn't be anything using it but the same error message came up replacing the F with R.
How do I find out what the problem is.
I know one problem I Have is my brain!!!. I have forgotton how I managed to change the drive letter. Any help here.? This might be two threads. Sorry about the length.

davida 20:29 14 Jan 06

Further to my query(s).
My PC runs XP home SP2 as does the laptop.
Ext disc drives,printers ext DVD ram drive, camera video and still and flash drives etc. are used on the PC not all at the same time.

Gongoozler 20:43 14 Jan 06

To change the drive letter
click here;en-us;307844&sd=tech

I cant help with your other problem, but at least this will push your query to the top.

SANTOS7 20:45 14 Jan 06
  stalion 20:46 14 Jan 06
  davida 18:26 22 Jan 06

Thanks.........I can now change the drive letters. My original problem is still not solved. I will keep working on it!!!!!!!!

Gongoozler 07:43 24 Jan 06

Hi davida. One down - one to go ;-).

There are some ideas for overcoming the "drive is in use" problem on this site click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5