Changing 'Normal' template in Word 2000

dave h 19:00 14 Nov 05

I wish to change the ‘Normal.dot’ template in Word 2000.

I have previously done this on Word 97 by saving the template I want, as ‘Normal 1.dot’, then going to the templates folder and deleting the ‘Normal.dot’ and then renaming the ‘Normal 1.dot’.

My problem is this – in Word 2000 running on Windows XP, I can’t get to the templates folder!

By going upwards from the ‘Save as a template’ box I get the (reversed) path of Templates/Microsoft/Applications data/ (‘my Username’)/Documents and Settings/ ‘C’.

The snag is that the ‘(My Username’) folder contains the following folders - Cookies, Desktop, Favorites, My Documents, and Start Menu, NONE of which contain the ‘Applications Data’ folder.

I assume it is hidden somehow, but how do I ‘Unhide’ it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

PaulB2005 19:03 14 Nov 05

Tools, Folder Options, View, Show Hidden Files and Folders.

VoG II 19:05 14 Nov 05

click here tells you how to find it.

Under More Options tick Search hidden files and folders.

VoG II 19:06 14 Nov 05

You may find click here of interest.

dave h 19:37 14 Nov 05

Thanks to you all for a quick (as usual) response

For anyone else who finds this do the following....

First, save the template you want as a distinctive name (such as normal 1.dot)

Then -
Microsoft Windows XP: 1. Quit all instances of Word, including Microsoft Outlook if Word is set as your e-mail editor.
2. Click Start and then click Search.
3. In the Search Results dialog box, under What do you want to search for?, click All files and folders.
4. In the All or part of the file name box, type Normal.dot.
5. In the Look in box, select your local hard disk (or an alternate user template location if you are running Word from a network server).
5a. Note. In the 'more advanced options' dropdown menu, tick 'Search Hidden Files and Folders' and tick 'Search Sub Folders'
6. Click Search to search for the file.
7. For each occurrence of Normal.dot that appears in the Search Results dialog box, right-click the file. Click Rename on the shortcut menu. Type a new name for the file, such as OldNormal.dot , and then press ENTER.
8 Then repeat the search (Items 4 to 7 above)but using the name of the template you want (In this example 'Normal 1.dot) When you find it rename it as 'Normal'dot'
9. On the File menu, click Close to close the Search program

dave h 19:41 14 Nov 05

AS I suspected, it was a 'hidden' folder.

Total time from query to resolution (including trying out the answer) 37 Minutes!

Well done all.

Taw® 20:25 14 Nov 05

for info

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…