Changing names of files etc.

rital90 13:50 24 Jun 03

If I have saved a file and try to give it a title, I get the message "If you change a filename extension the file may become unusable."This has only just started to happen for no apparent reason. If I say yes and change the file name I can still open the file, but the icon on the file changes to a "windows" icon

TBH1 14:11 24 Jun 03

I think it means when you change the name of a file, it may come unusable only if you change the extension ie the exe, bmp, bat thingy at the end of the file name. For instance, if you change say, setup.exe to setup.cpy, you won't be able to run it. If you have a file called photo.bmp and you double click it, it will probably open in your paint or graphics program, PSP or paint or something - by changing the name to photo.*** it won't open automatically with that. I think the icons are associated with the extensions so that will change too. Hope this helps.

huzzar 17:12 24 Jun 03

I have seen this message for the first time while changing a file name in Win XP. Even though you can't see the file extension. If you see the message again make sure that you only select the file name and not all of it which includes the extension. this is what I do now.

woodchip 17:18 24 Jun 03

You can change the name but you cannot change the extension

jazzypop 17:43 24 Jun 03

I don't understand what you mean. It is perfectly possible to take a file called (for example) test.doc, and rename it to test.txt, test.bmp, test.xls, or just plain test (which is what I think rital90 is doing, i.e. forgetting to put the correct three letter extension after the '.').

rital90 19:43 24 Jun 03

The files were mainly photos, so I changed the caption to whoever or whatever the photo was of. When I changed the caption, I could still open the photo, but only by using the "open with" box EACH TIME, even though I ticked the "open with this every time" box. It is not really a problem, just a puzzle.
Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I am a beginner at this, but am learning all the time!!!

wee eddie 20:43 24 Jun 03

Start - My Computer - Tools - Folder Options - View - select 'Hide extensions for known file types'.

on the hand you could just type .jpg or .bmp or .tft (depending on file type) after each file name

wee eddie 20:45 24 Jun 03

before hand in line two

TBH1 21:23 24 Jun 03

rital90 - it is oh too easy when renaming files to miss off the extension (the 3 characters after the dot) - - - whatever you rename your files to, take care to remember what the extension is in case you over - type it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…