Changing my router, do I need to delete anything?

ralph-226856 21:49 03 Aug 08

Hi all.
I recently received help in setting up my BT Voyager wireless router in this forum. Since then I've had problems with sending emails via Outlook Express and my router's management program won't let me upgrade the routers firmware. I’ve traced the OE fault to my router by installing a temporary USB modem on my PCs which cured the email fault in OE, so I've decided to change routers.
I've got a Netgear DG834G that I propose to use in place of the voyager, but would like to know if there are any existing settings on my desktop PCs and laptop that I need to delete or change before I try to install the Netgear router?
I've got two desktop PCs, one with Win98 installed and the other with XP Pro, and the
Laptop has Vista Premium.
Any guidance would be appreciated.

brundle 22:40 03 Aug 08

No, any devices plugged in with cables ought to configure themselves automatically (if your network settings and TCP/IP settings haven't been fiddled with), wireless devices should only require you to search for and connect to the new router with the relevant encryption key.

brundle 22:41 03 Aug 08

Though you should uninstall any BT Voyager specific software before swapping.

brundle 22:42 03 Aug 08

Except if it's software for a BT wireless adapter, not to help manage the router

ralph-226856 23:15 03 Aug 08

Thanks brundle,cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…