changing my PC

capnsofa 09:28 31 Oct 05

I own a PC purchased from Tiny Computers in August 2000 - attached to it are an inkjet printer and a scanner. I also have Broadband, which I moved to about 12 months ago.
I am looking to purchase a new PC, having seen some apparently good offers from such as DELL, but have a few concerns :
1. my operating system is Windows 98 - all important information e.g. spreadsheets, Address Book, favourites etc I back up on to floppy disk - will I be able to download this information as the new system would be Windows XP?
2. will I be able to connect my printer and scanner - I have the installation disks for both.
3. will there be complications regarding Broadband?
I have considered a LAPTOP as the mobility seems a good idea, however the above concerns still appear relevant, particularly with regard to Braodband, as I have no idea how LAPTOPs work with the Internet.
Hope you can help as my friends say I am living on borrowed time with my present PC, although (touch wood) it's working OK at the moment!!

PaulB2005 09:38 31 Oct 05

1. Yes but you will need Office loaded on the new PC. Old Office documents can be opened with newer versions.

2. Depends on the make and model. Some manufacturers stopped making drivers for XP. Post your make and models and we can tell you. Or check the manufacturers sites.

3. Nope. Might even appear faster as the new PC will render (construct) the pages faster.

Laptops works exactly the same as a desktop for broadband.

If you are backing up to floppy you'll need to make sure you specify that you want a floppy drive on a new Dell as they don't come with one. or buy an external USB Floppy drive. Probably cheaper and easier to get Dell to fit on though.

PaulB2005 09:38 31 Oct 05

1. I assumed you are using Office. If you are using something other than Office (Word, Excel etc) then you'll need that loaded on the new PC.

De Marcus™ 09:41 31 Oct 05

"Hope you can help as my friends say I am living on borrowed time with my present PC, although (touch wood) it's working OK at the moment!!"

Not really, but you will thoroughly enjoy an XP PC.

1. So long as you've backed everything up as you say, you won't have any problems tranferring your data to a new pc/laptop.

2. This one is a little trickier, it's quite likely XP will recognise if they aren't too old, however you can make sure by using MS's Upgrade Advisor click here if the advisor throws up anything to do with your printer or scanner then you may have trouble, another way to check would be to post the make and model with which a quick google should provide an answer.

3. Highly unlikely, especially if you connect via ethernet.

A laptop would equally as fine for the internet, and if you get the bug (likely) you may wish to go wireless!

wee eddie 11:22 31 Oct 05

XP has a data transfer system which could help but I am not sure if it works with W98se.

However this idea may be worth running with.

There are Hard Drive Caddies on the market, which are really quite inexpensive. You should be able to take the Hard Drive out of your old PC, put it in a Caddy, connect it to the new PC and read the files from it.

You should get advice from others, who actually know what they are doing, but it could work. The main problem I see, is that your old Hard Drive has W98se on it and I am not sure if you can by-pass Windows to read the files.

Once you have transferred your files and information, you could format the old drive and use it as a back-up device.

PaulB2005 11:34 31 Oct 05

"You should get advice from others, who actually know what they are doing, but it could work. The main problem I see, is that your old Hard Drive has W98se on it and I am not sure if you can by-pass Windows to read the files."

If placed in a caddy yes you can just browse the hard drive to find your files.

De Marcus™ 15:39 31 Oct 05

Thanks for the email, it's best to respond by scrolling down to the bottom of this page, typing your message in the large white response box and clicking on 'post response'. It helps others see what your explaining as well.

This received from capnsofa in a nutshell:

The printer is fine according to the upgrade advisor so the new machine shouldn't have a problem recognising it. He/she's not sure about the scanner, it's a rebadged tiny (from what I can gather).

If the scanner and printer were both turned on and installed/functioning correctly and the upgrade advisor didn't have any complaints about them, then you won't have any problems installing them on the new machine when it arrives.

Good Luck

DM™

Southernboy 17:32 31 Oct 05

When I moved from a W98SE to an XP SP2 computer, I thought I had covered everything by buying later versions of software. What I was not prepared for were problems with SP2. Hardware/Software compatible with XP, had problems with SP2, so this might be worth checking out.

Yes, you can get updated drivers for some older hardware but you may find thay have not been "signed off", which means you are plagued with Warning Messages everytime you use them.

Finally, according to a letter in the current PCA, SP2 has issues with some external peripherals that will have worked fine with W98SE and a "fix" may be required. I gather that all these problems can be overcome, but they can be worrying. I am still working on some SP2 issues.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…