Changing MP3's to data files

Dazwm 11:30 21 Sep 03

Can I change mp3s to data files cos I have so many it takes up a hell of alot of room on my hardrive. Is it right that if they are data files they are smaller in size?

Jester2K II 11:32 21 Sep 03

No. Burn them of to cd or delete those you don't need to make more room.

tenplus1 11:45 21 Sep 03

MP3's are data files, the only way to scrunch them down any further is to convert each one to a different (and smaller) format...

Get hold of CDex 1.51 and that will allow you to convert your MP3 collection to Ogg Vorbis which is a lot smaller and sounds just as good...

That way each file (depending on settings) is 1/3rd of the size... not bad eh... and WinAMP can still play em happily...

powerless 12:35 21 Sep 03

Round 'em up and burn em to CD.

MAJ 12:36 21 Sep 03

When burning them to CD-R, make sure to use the "Burn Data CD" option, rather than the "Create Audio CD" option. When burning a Data CD you can use multi-session mode, that way you can burn some now and then burn some more at a later date.

Jabba10 22:48 21 Sep 03

Microsoft Plus for XP (if you're working with XP) has the facility to change MP3's to WMA files. This will reduce the size.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…