changing the look of xp

Emperor Penguin 11:50 16 Aug 04

is it possible to change the opening screen which says welcome, on xp? I would like to personalise my computer and get rid of as much of the "character" of xp as possible and I'd really like to change this welcome screen to something else.

Legolas 11:57 16 Aug 04

It looks a bit complicated click here

Emperor Penguin 12:28 16 Aug 04

thanks for your help

Chegs ® 12:37 16 Aug 04

click here

There is a few suggested mods to change XP on here.StylesXP is a good way,the hacking of the "Start" button is fun,as SFC tries its damnest to stop you,but perceverance pays off.

No "Start" button at all :-) click here

rawprawn 13:52 16 Aug 04

This tweak will only work if you have the "Use welcome screen" option activated in Control Panel>Users Accounts>Logon and Logoff Options.
This is from Tweak XP, but download a trial of Tune up utilities 2004, it will do it for you. I liked the program so much I bought it.

1. Make a backup copy of C:\windows\system32\logonui.exe

2. Overwrite the file with your new login screen. (be sure to use the same file name as the old logonui.exe)

3. If you ever want to revert back to the old login screen, just overwrite C:\windows\system32\logonui.exe with your backup.

Some edits and supplements

Windows System File Protection will not allow to override the file unless you follow these steps:

1. Rename the logonui.exe file in either C:\Windows\system32\dllcache or in C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 (depends on if and how you installed the servicepack).
2. Copy your custom logonui.exe to this folder.
3. Boot into safe mode and do exactly the same (rename the original file and copy in your new one) in C:\Windows\system32. System File Protection will pop up two windows. Answer them with "cancel" and "yes".

Note: It is always better to rename the original file and not override it.

Alternatively you can use this method to change the Welcome screen :
1. Copy your custom logon file under another name, let's say logonuiA.exe, to C:\Windows\system32.
2. Open regedit (Always backup before changing anything in the registry) to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
and change the value for UIHost to logonuiA.exe.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…