Changing laptop Hard Drive

jagsman 02:41 29 Jan 09

I bought a laptop from PC World last year (Advent 5311) which had vista premium installed on it. I made the backup disc it tells you to do when it starts for the first time. But now i need more storage so i was wanting to upgrade the hard drive to something a bit bigger(120gb at the moment). External drives are not feasible so it would have to be a new internal drive. Will i have to buy a new copy of Vista? Can i clone my old drive,OS and all? Will the DVD backup i made have the complete OS on it to install on the new drive?

any help would be much appreciated

jack 08:58 29 Jan 09

Changing the drive
The placement of the drive in the casing varies from make/model every week almost - so Check that YOU are able to access the drive fefore you go to find the screwdriver. Connerctivity is usually simple.

Copying over the old drive to the new one shouldbe done before you start .
So New drive connected to the machine via an IDE to USB cable[ about £12/20]
But then the trouble starts
The motherboard will detect a new drive.
The O/S will say New computer- don't want to go there unless Microsoft says I can and to do that you have to get online to MS ????????????
Better informed folk may have ideas but to my mind
External drive is the answer for capacity - what is the problem with that?

Graham. 10:22 29 Jan 09

click here

I believe that if you install the new drive and carry out the above, it should work. Might be advisable to ask PC World for a compatible drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…