Changing laptop CD writer to DVD writer

Mike28 16:44 18 Jul 05

Is it feasible to replace the CD rewriter in my laptop with a DVD miltiformat burner? If so, are there any recommendations as to make and performance?

Or would I do better with an external drive such as the LG GSA5163 as reviewed in the Sept 05 issue? I am not sure whether the USB is 1.1 or 2 - how do I find out, and would it work with the 1.1?

woodchip 16:55 18 Jul 05

You would need to get from PC manufacturer or Supplier the DVD+RW drive.

As for Eternal DVD it will only work fast enough if your Computer is a new Computer with XP installed not any other OS. As XP is the only one to support USB2 plus the comp would have to be USB2 ports these cannot be changed by upgrading as with a Desktop. How ever if you loaded XP you could get a USB2 Card bus that should work with a Eternal Drive at USB2

Mike28 18:03 18 Jul 05

Woodchip - My laptop is only 18 months old with XP.
That's why I wonder if the USB is 2.0 - but I can't find out. Is USB 1.1 too slow if that's what I've got? A cardbus would do the job - with firewire if that is better, but I use the slot for a wireless connection.

woodchip 18:49 18 Jul 05

Your computer should already be USB2. And should work with a USB2 Hard Drive Or DVD+RW drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac