Changing ISP network / router/modem questions

daisy2bell 07:05 AM 21 Oct 11
Answered

I've finally gone and done it. I phoned up aol and requested my MAC code.

With my new ISP ( possibly ZEN ) if I keep my existing netgear router, can I keep my wireless connection settings the same i.e. network name, wep key etc.

If, on the other hand I get Zen's router which is pre configured, I would need to set up the wireless again. Could I still use the same network name and wep key, or would I have to chose new ones.

Thanks

mgmcc 08:23 AM 21 Oct 11
Answer

I suspect the existing Netgear router provided by AOL will be customised for use with their service only.

You can give the new router any network name (SSID) you want, but should use WPA or WPA2 encryption, rather than WEP which is not particularly secure.

daisy2bell 16:57 PM 21 Oct 11

Thanks mgmcc, and sorry for the late reply. Surprise, I requested the MAC code on Wednesday evening, and it arrived in the post today.

I will probably go with a configured Zen router.

Thanks again

rdave13 19:34 PM 21 Oct 11

daisy2bell, if its a Netgear then log in to the router and check all the settings. I'd be surprised if locked to AOL. Still won't harm having a second router as standby.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Moto G 2015 confirmed: Motorola Moto G UK release date, price and specification details - New…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries lined up for dConstruct

Apple Pay UK launch guide and participating UK banks: HSBC, First Direct finally support Apple Pay