CHANGING IP ADDRESS?

rosie12 16:02 10 Feb 06

Hi,how can I change my IP address, I am running xp home with wanadoo broadband, I was told to turn the modem on and off and this would do it but it hasn't...Any help would be appreciated...Thanks

Skyver 16:05 10 Feb 06

Your IP address is assigned to you by Wanadoo. If you're running XP, start menu/run, type "ipconfig /release" , then start menu/run type "ipconfig /renew"

Skyver 16:05 10 Feb 06

Minus the quotes

rosie12 16:13 10 Feb 06

OK, I will give this a go, this wont mess my connection up will it?

Skyver 16:15 10 Feb 06

It will drop the connection for few seconds while your modem negiotiates an IP address from the Wanadoo servers, that's all.

Skyver 16:16 10 Feb 06

*negotiates

rosie12 16:24 10 Feb 06

Hi, I have just done this and the IP address is the same !!! could I have done something wrong, it did tuen off and then on again, should I have given it a min. or so instead of just doing it one after the other?

dms05 16:31 10 Feb 06

Perhaps the IP address is correct. Why do you want to change it?

Skyver 16:32 10 Feb 06

No it doesn't always change, it depends on the ISP. They issue a `lease` on the IP address, sometimes 24 hours, sometimes 7 days. You may be stuck with what you have, the only other thing to try is turn off the modem when you switch off the PC, when it next connects it will have to ask for a new IP address.

ade.h 16:32 10 Feb 06

Many ADSL IPs are fixed; mine is, for example. I think you should check the fine details of your Wanadoo service to find out whether it is fixed or dynamic.

BTW; why do you want to change it?

Thalmus 16:36 10 Feb 06

are you using a router?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…