changing index page

MERKY 21:03 20 Dec 04

I have got my site up & running fine but i want to change some things on the home page.I am using dream weaver 4 & smart ftp to upload it.How do i make the changes ?.

Taran 21:16 20 Dec 04

Keep a spare copy of your site in a folder on your hard drive. That is your backup. Now use the 'work in progress' (WIP) copy in another folder on your computer. I normally keep a folder in My Documents with all of my static Dreamweaver sites in it. The dynamic sites live in other places on the computer, but that's not important right now. This WIP copy in a folder of your choice is known as your loacl site, or local copy.

I am assuming you know how to get started in Dreamweaver. If not, try these links:

click here

click here

click here

Basically, if you only want to change one page you open it in Dreamweaver (File, Open) or if you want to play with the entire site you should start my using the Define Site feature in Dreamweaver. This allows the program to figure out which files belong to your web so that any modifications to one page that affect others can be updated automatically.

You just edit the text, insert page elements and other bits and bobs to your hearts content. If you don't like what you've done, don't save it. If you do save it and don't like it, overwrite the files from your backup site copy to the WIP folder and start again, assuming your Edit, Undo... doesn't get you back to where you want to be.

T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…