Changing the icon of a folder - how?

gplatt2000 18:29 16 May 03

This probably an easy question to answer - in windows xp, how do I cahnge a folder's icon (like there is by default for 'My Photos' and 'My Music'? Thanks in advance, Gavin

VoG™ 18:45 16 May 03

To change the appearance of a single folder
Open My Documents.

Right-click the folder you want to customize, and then click Properties.

On the Customize tab, do one or all of the following:

Select a folder template

When you choose a template from Use this folder type as a template, you apply specific features to your folder, such as specialized task links and viewing options for working with pictures and music.

To apply a folder template to all of the folders contained within your customized folder, select the Also apply this template to all subfolders check box.

Choose a picture for your folder

You can choose the picture that identifies a folder in Thumbnails view.

When you click:

Choose Picture, you can find the picture you want to use to identify the folder.
Restore Default, the last four image files you modified in the folder will be used to identify it.

Change the folder icon

Click Change Icon to change the graphic that represents the folder in all views except Thumbnail view.

Notes

To open My Documents, click Start, and then click My Documents.

If your folder does not contain image files, Windows does not generate folder pictures in Thumbnails view.

You cannot customize the My Documents, My Pictures, and My Music folders. However, you can customize the folders they contain.

Stuartli 18:45 16 May 03

The answer is in Windows Help file...:-)

eccomputers 18:46 16 May 03

right click on the folder and go into properties.
then customize, then change icon.

Andybear 18:50 16 May 03

Right click on the relevant folder. Go to Properties. From there go to the Customize tab. At the bottom of that there is a button marked 'Change Icon'. Click that, chose the icon you want, press OK, then OK again to get you out of 'Properties'. Hope this is ok.

gplatt2000 18:56 16 May 03

Thanks a lot everyone. I was just confused because some folders it didnt have the customize tab. So i made a new folder and now all is well. Thanks again, Gavin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…