Changing from Homecall supplied Modem to Router

Rayspan 19:28 30 Oct 05

My daughter has Homecall Broadband with a USB speedtouch ADSL 'modem' supplied by the ISP.

To share her connection with a second computer, I have installed a Netgear DG834 Firewall/Modem/LAN Hub using, of course, an Ethernet port. The USB modem has been removed.

Homecall say this is OK just don't use their software.

I have set it up using the data they supplied, all the diagnostic lights indicate everything OK, and I can access the router, but when applying the 'test'I get 'CHAP Authentication failed.'

Any ideas anyone?

I use the same router at home, checking through the setup data it all looks the same apart from ISP-specifics.

Needless to say I have no Internet access - darn - there I've said it!

Number 7 20:48 30 Oct 05

The error message occurs because the ISP's server can't verify the account details.

Double check all the information you've entered, particularly the username and password.

Rayspan 22:20 30 Oct 05

I've double-double-double checked it. I think I'll have to talk to them tomorrow - nobody there on Sunday. Seems clear to me some info is missing. It works OK with their modem. I'll post result.

Rayspan 21:26 31 Oct 05

Hrrrrmmm! (Cheeks burning) I was using the dial up address, not the broadband one . . . dohhh!

Functions OK when done properly!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…